Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Popularity


POPULAR! you're gonna be popular!
I'll teach you the proper poise,
when you talk to boys,
little ways to flirt and flounce, ooh!
i'll show you what shoes to wear,
how to fix your hair!
everthing that really counts to be...popular
Popularity, what does it really even take to be popular?

The other day I was walking through the hallway and over heard one of the "popular" girls at my school talking about how she doesn't like it how the "unpopular" kids are starting to interact with the "popular" kids. As I walked past I couldn't help but laugh at how ignorant she just sounded. Where does she get the idea that she's so much better than me or my friends? I would have thought that with being a senior in high school the whole popularity food chain wouldn't matter anymore, but I guess I was wrong.


I have never been a part of the popular crowd but I have always had my small group of friends I can always count on and to me thats all I need and all that matters.

I think that popularity, just like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. The girl who made the statement may be considered popular in high school, but ten years from now how popular will she really be? 

My mom has always been one to tell me high school never ends. Sure, you don't have endless amounts of homework and a pimply face but there are still always going to be mean girls and something your wanting to change about yourself. Which brings me to the point of EVERYONE wants to change something about themselves. I strongly believe that the kids who are considered "popular" have the most insecurities and it's a shame they have to bring people down just so they can build themselves up.

I am guilty of being mean to people and have probably acted how the "popular" kids do, but I also know I have my group of friends and family to bring me back down to earth.

Most kids who are considered popular in high school are known for being really good athletes or for doing stupid stuff of the weekends. But what most teens don't realize is once they get out in the real world; who could take the most shots or who got with the most guys or girls won't matter. The truth is the kids who were studying on the weekends will be the popular ones.  They will be the ones the "popular" kids in high school are working for. 

No comments:

Post a Comment