Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Prove You Wrong


Some of the world's greatest minds failed out of or even dropped out of school. Albert Einstein one of the world's greatest scientist didn't speak until he was four and he didn't read until age seven. These things caused his teachers and parents to think he was mentally handicapped, slow and anti-social. It might have taken him a bit longer, but most would agree that he did pretty well in the end; he won a Nobel Prize and changing the face of modern physics.
 So why are a person's SAT/ACT scores suppose to determine how successful he or she will do in college and in life? Like Einstein, it look me longer to read and write on my grade level as a child. 

At an early age I was constantly being tested. Tested for ADHD, reading comprehension, you name it and I was probably tested for it. The tests seemed to always tell my parents and I one thing: I would  never get far in life without the help of others. So when it comes to standardize testing I have NEVER done well. Taking the  SAT and ACT I knew it wouldn't go well. 

My mom has always reminded me that our grades don't always reflect our efforts. So why do grades have to determine how great of a student we are? They shouldn't. Some kids are just naturally good at school. There is nothing that is more discouraging than seeing my test scores not match up with all my hard work, but that's the way it has always gone. Study for countless hours, take the test, and fail. But at an early age I decided I wasn't going to let my learning disabilities define who I am or who I would become. I decided to turn my weaknesses into my strengths and they eventually did. I use to dread writing essays or papers. My mom would have to sit down with me and help me put my thoughts down on paper, now I can't help but do the opposite. I still have struggles and need friends and teachers to edit my work. Like my best friend Dani--she makes sure all my posts make sense and are grammatically correct.

 Starting the college application process I find myself being discouraged. My dream school, Northwestern, takes students who are the top of their class with amazing ACT/SAT scores. So how is someone like me, who isn't the top of her class and doesn't have amazing ACT/SAT scores suppose to get into the college of her dream? The answer and reality of that is, she most likely won't. But that's not going to stop me from applying. Just like Einstein I plan on proving all the people who said I wouldn't succeed on my own. Wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment